Head Tennis Coach – Northcote Aquatic & Recreation Centre
Owned by the City of Darebin, and located at 180 Victoria Road, Northcote, the centre is managed by YMCA Victoria. The facilities on offer are vast and we cater for people of all ages and all levels of fitness.
- 6 fully-lit synthetic grass tennis courts (Northcote) and 3 new, fully-lit plexipave tennis courts (Darebin)
- Three great outdoor pools;
- A 25 metre indoor pool and play area with beach entry
- A Health Club with a great range of equipment;
- Child care centre;
- Over 100 Group Fitness classes on land and in water;
- A cycle studio with 19 cycle bikes;
- In house massage and Physio; and
- A 24-seat café, which can host parties
About YMCA Victoria
We look for inclusive people with a real zest for life whose positive and vibrant approach inspires those around them.
People of all ages and backgrounds are welcome, especially people with life experience. We support the employment of disadvantaged people and ensure that everyone can discover a career full of diversity at the Y.
As the largest employer in fitness and recreation we have more than 6,300 staff at over 140 centres across Victoria. There are opportunities for varied and interesting career paths in a range of areas including aquatics, health and wellness, camping and outdoor education, student accommodation, youth services, children's services, management, corporate services and community development.
With us, you will work with fun colleagues who have a shared passion for making a difference for individuals and transforming communities for the better. If you join us at the YMCA, you’ll become a valuable member of our team. We offer a range of benefits for improving your wellbeing and personal development.
This is a unique opportunity to develop a tennis program with Victoria’s largest fitness and recreation employer in one of Melbourne’s most desirable suburbs. In a rapidly growing area of Melbourne that is very short of good quality tennis facilities, we are looking for an enthusiastic coach who can exploit this opportunity and help develop and operate a full coaching program with the goal of increasing tennis participation in the Darebin Shire.
There are currently approximately 200 participants taking part in the coaching program at the Northcote Aquatic & Recreation Centre each week.
The main duties of this position are:
- Develop, manage and run a profitable Hot Shots and junior coaching program, which delivers a high standard of coaching and is enjoyed by all participants.
- Develop, manage and run a profitable adult coaching program, including Cardio Tennis, which delivers a high standard of coaching and is enjoyed by all participants.
- To provide individual lessons as required.
- Maintain accurate records where required e.g. registers and accident reporting.
- Develop a schools link program, which is effective in creating new junior members for the coaching program, with the aim of establishing a program to deliver tennis coaching to local Primary Schools.
- To assist in the development of a program to ensure the effective progression of talented players.
- Assist in the recruiting and management of a team of coaches including on-going training and mentoring of coaches, regular team meetings, and coordinating the theme and content of tennis programmes.
- Maintain a high level of enthusiasm, energy and support to all YMCA members.
- Help promote the facility to new and prospective members through open days and other publicity events, and to help proactively develop the Club’s marketing plans.
- To assist in the selection of and organisation of junior teams competing in the NEJTA competition.
- To assist in the development and operation of internal fixtures, including Fast4 singles and doubles competitions.
- Upholding the YMCA and Darebin Council’s Health and Safety and Safeguarding Children & Young People policies.
- Support the YMCA Manager of Tennis and Darebin Area Manager in making sure that the Northcote Tennis Centre offers a member/customer focused service to help achieve continuous improvement and innovation in service delivery.
The successful individual will:
- Be an experienced Tennis Australia licensed coach, minimum Club Professional or equivalent, with a passion for learning and self-improvement.
- Have the ability and willingness to work on own initiative.
- Experience of setting up and delivering quality, comprehensive tennis programmes, which include competitive and coaching programmes for all ages and abilities.
- Excellent communication and people skills.
- Ability to work well within a team, and the potential/desire to eventually manage a team of coaches.
- Possess good knowledge of Tennis Australia programs and services.
- Capable of working with schools to develop quality school links.
- Excellent organizational and computer skills.
- A passion for coaching.
- Reliable and punctual.
- Good playing level.
- Possess a professional and energetic attitude.
- Available to work evenings and weekends as required.
The Head Coach will initially be employed by the YMCA as a casual staff member at a highly competitive rate of remuneration with a blend of on-court and administrative hours available. The YMCA has the view to the role developing into a salaried position in the future once established.
Preferred start date ASAP, however concessions may be available for high-quality applicants.
Club Professional Coach or equivalent. Must be a Tennis Australia Coach Member or be able to provide proof of adequate insurance, qualification, Working With Children Checks and First Aid certification. All applicants must complete a Police Check and YMCA Safeguarding Children & Young People certification before commencing.
All interested coaches please contact Robert Daley, YMCA Manager of Tennis.
Phone: 0434 978 988