Capital Works at NARC
- Date: 20 June 2013
- Category: Centre News
- Author: Ashley Bartholomew
- Share This
Many of you would have seen a number of contractors busily working around the centre over the last week. These works are been undertaken by Darebin City Council to improve the energy rating of the centre and reduce the centre’s environmental footprint.
The works been carried include:
- a change in the lighting over the indoor pool and the outdoor pool. These new lights are LED and have a lifespan of over 50,000 hours while drawing less power. Other lights and fluorescents have been replaced around the centre including in the spa, café and eatery.
- Solar panels have been installed on the roof to assist pre heating hot water. New hot water tanks will be installed as you pass down the wet corridor to the change room.
- A "Green" Notice board will be installed to display the savings in power and gas and water usage.
- The (HVAC) Heating, Ventilation & Air Conditioning is currently also being upgraded.
Much of this work we have been able to do without to much disruption to services or programs. We will need to close the indoor pool over the first week of the school holidays (1st to the 5th of July) as the Council will working on the centre’s roof directly above the indoor pool. The job should only take three days but to allow for wet weather contingency the indoor pool will be closed for this week. If the project is completed early, we will inform you through our web page and Facebook page.
There may be further partial area closures when Citipower need to do an upgrade on their substation that the centre may need to close for a day. We are currently working with Citipower to work out the best strategy for these works.
We have contacted a other centres around our local area and they have offered NARC members reciprocal access over this time. These centres are Brunswick City Baths, Coburg Leisure Centre and Reservoir Leisure Centre.
Thanks again for your continued to support. The centre will be much improved and comfortable for all with these great Council initiatives.